The classic 5×5 workout.
It’s simple, it’s to the point … and most importantly, it WORKS!
The idea is simple. Pick a weight you can do for 5 sets of 5. If you complete all the sets and reps, then next time bump the weight up 5 or 10 pounds. This is cycled in a progressive and organized fashion over time.
Now the “original” Bill Starr 5×5 routine is based around three lifts – the power clean, the bench press, and the squat. But that routine was designed for football players, and although you probably want to train and look like an athlete, your goals are likely a bit different …
You probably want to:
– Gain strength and lean muscle
– Lose body fat, stay slim and trim
– Feel great, and keep the aches and pains at bay
– Be ready at any given time to take on a variety of physical challenges – examples would be run a 5k, play pick-up basketball for 45 mins, do 10 pull ups, press a decently heavy KB, deadlift some respectable weight, etc
So that’s what I kept in mind when I put together the “hybrid” 5×5 BB/KB/BW workout I’m going to share with you today.
We’re going to start the workout with 5 sets of 5 on the deadlift … but we’re also going to include some kettlebell and bodyweight work to help you burn fat, and maintain / build a level of conditioning …
We’re also putting a priority on mobility and flexibility to keep you moving great and keep the aches and pains at bay …
And we’re doing some “off” day activities as well to keep your overall fitness level and “general preparedness” high.
Let’s hop right into it!
5×5 BB/KB/BW Hybrid Workout
by Forest Vance, author, Invincible Body
1 – Before your workout, get ready to rock with with:
– foam rolling
– joint mobility
– a dynamic warm up
2 – Exercise pair #1 – alternate exercises back and forth and do five sets total of each; rest as needed between moves to get fully recovered:
– KB / barbell deadlifts – 5 reps
– bodyweight only / weight added Turkish get ups – 1 rep each side
2 – Exercise pair #2 – do four rounds of the following sequence, taking as little rest as possible:
– body weight squat / goblet squat with kettlebell – 10
– kneeling / standard / feet elevated push ups – 10
– hanging leg raises – 10
3 – To finish – run/bike/etc – 5 intervals of 30 seconds HARD, 30 seconds of recovery
4 – Finish with static stretch of tight muscle groups
A simple way to set this up as a full program would be:
– Perform the above workout 2x per week – Mon – Weds for example
– For your third “strength training” day, you could do a total body workout of pretty much any kind … search my blog at http://forestvance.com for dozens and dozens of sample workouts
– An additional two or three days per week, simply do about 30 minutes of some kind of “fun” activity … go for a hike, ride your bike, play a game of pick-up basketball … get your heart rate up, but just as importantly, enjoy!
That about does it for your 5×5 BB/KB/BW Hybrid Workout. This is a simple – but POWERFUL – training program that you can use to gain strength, lose fat, perform better and feel great – in about 30 minutes per day.
And for video walk – throughs of everything outlined in today’s article, specifics and coaching points on each component of the workout, and a far more extensive and complete six week program, check out my full Invincible Body training course HERE.
Train hard, and talk soon –
– Forest Vance
Author, Invincible Body