There are so many little details of workout programming and dieting that folks argue over – for example:
- Is low fat eating best for fat loss? Or is fat in fact good for you and even helpful for dropping weight?
- Is ‘cardio’ a part of an effective fat loss workout plan? Weight lifting? ‘Dieting’?
- What are the best ‘tools’ (body weight, dumbbells, weight machines, kettlebells, etc.) to help you reach your specific fitness goals?
The truth: A diet, exercise, and lifestyle plan that follows basic and time-tested principles is the best – and truly only – way to reach your fitness goals and stay there. And any effective plan that works will follow these principles.
In this post, I’m going to list out 26 diet, exercise, and lifestyle tips that should be present in your quest for optimum health, energy, and vitality:
1. Start/end your workouts with self myofacial release
2. Perform directed and planned out joint mobility exercises on a regular basis
3. Warm up using a dynamic-style stretching routine
5. Get really good at the basic body weight exercises
6. Utilize metabolic conditioning – style workouts in your exercise programming
7. Limit ‘long slow distance’ – style cardio work
8. Work on strengthening your ‘core’
10. Static stretch your tight muscle groups; focus on optimum length-tension relationships and muscle balance throughout the body
11. Change your workouts frequently (but not too much)
12. Be active in some way every day
13. Pick exercise modalities that you truly enjoy
14. Eat a rainbow of fruits and veggies
15. Eat nuts, seeds, and good fats
16. Eat lean proteins
17. Eat little starches and refined foods
18. Eat no or very little sugars
19. Live by the ‘90% rule’
20. Drink 1/2 of your body weight in oz. of water each day
21. Get 7-8 hours of quality sleep every day
22. Minimize stress
23. Have specific, defined goals you’re working towards
24. Get social support
25. Plan your meals, workouts – your entire fitness program – in advance
26. Stay humble, always be improving and trying to get better
Well, there you have it … 26 diet, exercise, and lifestyle secrets for optimum health, energy, and vitality. If you have any of your own to add – or just have feedback/comments/etc. on the post – please leave a comment below.
Thanks for reading and talk soon –
Forest Vance, MS, RKC